Patch to auparse to handle out of order messages 3 of 3

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Fri Jan 8 03:06:10 UTC 2016

On January 7, 2016 6:47:02 PM Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Friday, January 08, 2016 10:05:13 AM Burn Alting wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> Can I suggest you modify src/ausearch-lol.c:check_events() to add in the
>> AUDIT_PROCTITLE check (will reduce memory overhead as events will be
>> flushed faster).
>
> OK. Good suggestion. The SVN repo has been updated.
>

>> Also can we ask Richard put a comment into the appropriate location in
>> the kernel code to indicate the link between ausearch/aurport/auparse
>> depending on AUDIT_PROCTITLE being the last record of an event if
>> present.
>
> I'll let them answer.

Good thing I happened to read this message, I had stopped reading this
thread...

I really dislike comment only patches and I really, really dislike the
fixed format fields/records/etc. that permeates so much of audit these
days.  I'll reserve final judgement for if/when any patches are posted, but
just to be clear, I'm not very excited about stuff like this.

> That said one of the things I want to add in the next development cycle is the
> ability to get rid of proctitle records if the admin wants to. They waste a
> lot of space. But if they are missing then we have the same performance as we
> did before I added this patch.

I wouldn't have a problem with that.

--
paul moore