Auditing network traffic

Lev Stipakov lstipakov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 14:26:34 UTC 2016

Hello,

I work on an audisp plugin which audits network traffic – what process
has send/received data to/from what remote address. So far I see 2 ways
of accomplishing that:

Hook syscalls. First, hook socket call with af_inet/inet6 to get pid and
fd, then read/write/sendto/recvfrom filtered by pid and fd. I see few
issues with this appoach:

1) Fd can be closed or duped, so I should probably hook close/dup2 calls
too. Not sure, though, if socket could be closed by kernel without any
syscall. As a workaroud, one can just hook read/write and check if fd is
socket (S_ISSOCK) and also somehow filter out af_unix.

2) Getting saddr/daddr. Seems that dest addr could be obtained from
connect call. However I am not sure what is the right way to get that -
I got two records, first SYSCALL and then SOCKADDR. First one has an
argument which points to memory location where sockaddr structure lays,
and second one has ”saddr” field.  Latter looks good, but does SOCKADDR
event type always follows SYSCALL for connect call? Same for sendto call.

Another way of getting network stats is the AUDIT target for netfilter.
Looks good, no need to worry about fds/addrs. However there is no pid.
What would be the ”best” way to get pid for those records? Anything else
besides looking into /proc/net/tcp?

-Lev