Auditing network traffic

Lev Stipakov lstipakov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 20:49:37 UTC 2016

On 21.01.2016 18:50, Steve Grubb wrote:

> I'd say it would be better because you don't have to do nearly as much work.
> The kernel takes care of all the heavy lifting and you just filter on
> NETFILTER_PKT events.

Good to know, thanks!

> There are plenty of examples of how to do logging of netfilter events. You can
> just copy the examples and substitute AUDIT as the target (but you have to add
> a --type argument after it). A couple examples I found after a quick search:

Sorry, I probably was not clear here. I am able to catch packets by
adding iptables rules like ones you've mentioned and process events
(with record type AUDIT_NETFILTER_PKT) by code inside my plugin.

The problem is, I would prefer them not to be written to logfiles. My
business logic does not require that (everything is handled by plugin
code), and I noticed that logs are rotated quite fast (I capture all
incoming/outgoing packets). So, is there any way to disable logging and
make audit deliver those events to plugin only?

-Lev