Weird issues in 2.6.5

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Jul 13 15:57:01 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, July 13, 2016 8:47:58 AM EDT Chris Nandor wrote:
> Hi, I had some odd behavior to report.
>
> I am running ubuntu 12.04.  Using the default auditd and audispd-plugins
> packages for my release, I was able to get logs sent to local syslog and to
> a remote auditd server (same basic configuration), but the entries were
> being buffered somewhere (I think on the client side), and if the server
> died reconnections didn't happen.
>
> So, I wanted a more recent version, so I compiled audit-userspace from the
> github src mirror,* trunk at 1341.

The github repo is a mirror of svn and is not always up to date. The issue you
are seeing is fixed in the next commit after the mirror stops.

https://fedorahosted.org/audit/changeset/1342

if you want the lastest you can:

svn co http://svn.fedorahosted.org/svn/audit/trunk

and then generate from there. I am planning to release audit-2.6.5 tomorrow.
So, if anyone can test the current code, I'd really appreciate it. I'm hoping
the next release settles down the audit code.

> When I did, I got some weird results.  For example, I expected got
> something like this in my audit.log:
>
>   node=host.example.com type=CWD msg=audit(1468363871.644:3279856):
>  cwd="/etc/audisp"
>
> And that was as expected.  In syslog, I expected to get:
>
>   Jul 13 08:34:53 host audispd: node=host.loc.example.com type=CWD
> msg=audit(1468363871.644:3279856):  cwd="/etc/audisp"
>
> But instead, I got:
>
>   Jul 13 08:34:53 host audispd: type=CWD msg=node=host.loc.example.com
> type=CWD msg=audit(1468363871.644
>
> As you can see, the whole thing was prepended with "type=CWD msg=", and the
> line was truncated.  Similarly, on the remote host, I got the same thing:
>
>   type=CWD msg=node=host.loc.example.com type=CWD msg=audit(1468363871.644
>
> I noticed that the most recent version of the src for ubuntu was 2.4.5, so
> I grabbed the src tarball from packages.ubuntu and built it, and now
> everything looks fine.  The exact same line I see in my audit.log shows up
> in the remote audit.log, with no buffering.  When I restart the remote
> auditd server or client, it reconnects.  syslog has same entry (prepended
> with the timestamp etc.).  Everything seems happy now.
>

> *For some reason I had to define `CC_FOR_BUILD=gcc` in my shell when I ran
> `make` from the svn/git src.  I did not require this when building 2.4.5
> from the ubuntu src.

I think that should have been detected during configure.