/var/log/audit ownership/permissions

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Jul 21 13:55:07 UTC 2016

On Thursday, July 21, 2016 11:48:04 AM EDT Ondrej Moris wrote:
> Hi, I noticed that in 2.6.5 /var/log/audit permission were dropped from
> 750 to 600.

The directory should be 0750 or 0700 depending on your config. 0600 would be a
mistake.

https://fedorahosted.org/audit/browser/trunk/src/auditd-event.c#L886

> Besides, specfile
> still contains:
>
> %attr(750,root,root) %dir %{_var}/log/audit

Maybe I should take the attr away or modify it to (-,root,-). The group can
change. For example, I have wheel allowed to run audit reports on my system.

> and hence 'rpm -V audit' obviously fails.

Yeah. Hmm.

-Steve