auditd and redhat cluster

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Tue Mar 1 13:25:04 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 7:45 AM, Maupertuis Philippe
<philippe.maupertuis at worldline.com> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> One clusters fenced the passive node around two hours  after auditd was
> started.
>
> We have found that iowait has increased since auditd was started and was
> unusually high.
>
> Auditd wasn’t generating many messages and there were no noticeable added
> activity on the disk were the audit and syslog files were written.
>
> Besides watches, the only general rules were :
>
> # creation
> -a exit,always -F arch=b32 -S creat -S mkdir -S mknod -S link -S symlink -S
> mkdirat -S mknodat -S linkat -S symlinkat -F uid=root -F success=1 -k
> creation
> -a exit,always -F arch=b64 -S creat -S mkdir -S mknod -S link -S symlink -S
> mkdirat -S mknodat -S linkat -S symlinkat -F uid=root -F success=1 -k
> creation
>
> # deletion
> -a exit,always -F arch=b32 -S rmdir -S unlink -S unlinkat -F uid=root -F
> success=1 -k deletion
> -a exit,always -F arch=b64 -S rmdir -S unlink -S unlinkat -F uid=root -F
> success=1 -k deletion
>
> After the rebot we deleted all rules and didn’t notice extra iowait anymore.
>
> Could these rules be the cause of additional iowait even if not generating
> many events (around 20 in two hours) ?
>
> Is there any other auditd mechanism  that could explain this phenomenon ?
>
> I would appreciate any hints.

Hi Philippe,

First, as this is a RH cluster product, I would suggest contacting RH
support with your question if you haven't already; this list is
primarily for upstream development and support.

If you are able to experiment with the system, or have a test
environment, I would suggest trying to narrow down the list of audit
rules/watches to see which rules/watches have the most affect on the
iowait times.  You've listed four rules, but you didn't list the
watches you have configured.  Also, what kernel version are you using?

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com