AUDIT changes - true sense of security

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 13:55:57 UTC 2016

On Friday, March 18, 2016 01:14:31 PM Warron S French wrote:
> I have an issue, I believe, and I am asking for help on how to properly
> address/assess it.
>
> I have been given guidance in support of auditing on CentOS-6.x systems:
>
> 1.       To place various watch (-w) and action (-a) rules into place.
>
> 2.       Make certain the configurations are immutable.
>
> Sometimes I have to add more rules, so I do that.   However, I am not
> certain if the rules are working properly, and I do know that I have broken
> the auditd init-scripts on my systems a few times, and just commented out
> the offending audit controls to work around/fix this very type of problem.

While you are experimenting, do not put in the -e 2 configuration option.

> What I need to know is, since the configurations have to be immutable ( with
> the -e 2) how can I properly start the audit service, and without any
> inkling of a doubt be certain that the rules are in place and are
> functioning properly?

There is a rule listing command, -l, that will dump what the kernel has
loaded. There is also a status command, -s, that will tell you if audit is
enabled. If the rules are loaded and audit is enabled, its working.

> Also, being a total novice, how can I test/trigger audit log actions on
> watch and action rules to see that the rules are configured properly?

If its a watch, then accessing the file and running ausearch should do it. If
you have a syscall rule, then you have to trigger the syscall either by using
a program or creating one.

> Finally, is there a tool that will do a sanity check on the audit.rules file?

auditctl reports any problems that it sees with the rules.

> Or is the only option to attempt to restart the auditd service, and think
> "It started, it worked!" is acceptable?

List the rules and status the audit subsystem.