How to Audit ssh Commands --> wget, scp

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue May 10 13:55:28 UTC 2016

On Tuesday, May 10, 2016 01:46:59 PM varun gulati wrote:
> Thanks for the response. We are not using web services to provide/serve this
> file.

You have to be. :-) If someone on another system uses wget to access a file on
the system you care about, something is serving the file on port 80. Maybe you
need to do a netstat -tanp to see what is serving the file.

> Its simply kept at a particular folder which people download using
> wget. Here is the wget command users are using to download the file from
> the different hosts: wget --no-cache
> http://servername/app/name/dist/xyz.zip
> Still no logging is happening :(Need your expert help with this.
>
> > Thanks for your suggestions. We incorporated the below rule for
> > auditctl which you suggested, but unfortunately it didn't helped. We
> > are able to log the wget from the same server but unfortunately it is
> > still not logging from a different host:
> >
> > -a always,exit -F path=/a/b/c/xyz.log -F perm=r -F key=log-access
> >
> > This is how the file looks like:
> >
> > -w /a/b/c/xyz.log -p rwxa -k Audit

This should get you all access of that file if you are on a distribution that
enables the audit system unless you are on a special file system like NFS which
is not supported by the audit system.

> > -w /usr/bin/wget -p rwxa -k Audit

This will show execution of wget on the server, not the client.

> > -a always,exit -F path=/a/b/c/xyz.log -F perm=r -F key=log-access

This is roughly the same as the first above just expressed in the longer form.

> > But nothing is logging the Audit when wget is called from any other
> > host. Can you please assist on this further.
>
> If you are using a web service (httpd, etc) to service your files, then
> make it authenticated and have it log.

I agree on this point. Auditd will tell you that the web server accessed the
file but not who is getting it. Only the web server can know that.

-Steve