Audit reporting Invalid argument

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed May 11 19:52:02 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 11:19:07 AM Bhagwat, Shriniketan Manjunath wrote:
> Thanks for the response. Your response cleared many of my doubts. I need one
> clarity on use of Linux capability CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL.
>
> My understanding is that, only root user can start/stop audit service and
> configure auditctl rules. auditctl.c and auditd.c specifically check for
> uid to be zero. The man page says CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL " Enable and disable
> kernel auditing; change auditing filter rules; retrieve auditing status and
> filtering rules." Does this mean, a process with CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL
> capability running from non root account will be able to start/stop audit
> and configure auditctl rules?

Not today. The check for uid 0 is a poor man's check for CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL. I
have not revisited the checks since allowing libcap-ng to link with other
components.

> Are there any documentation about how to use
> CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL capability and how it is related to audit?

Very little. Its mostly reading source code.

> Is it possible to suppress events for a file for the set of specific
> syscalls? Example: Using the below rule I want to suppress audit event only
> for chmod syscall for file /tmp/read_only. However below rule not only
> suppresses the audit event for chmod syscall but also for other syscalls
> for /tmp/read_only file.
>
> # auditctl -a never,exit -F arch=x86_64  -F path=/tmp/read_only  -S chmod

This is how I would try to write it. If that suppresses more syscalls than
chmod and you can give us a reproducer, I think it should go in the new github
issue tracker for the kernel.

-Steve