Audit reporting Invalid argument

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon May 16 12:53:34 UTC 2016

On Saturday, May 14, 2016 09:40:05 AM Bhagwat, Shriniketan Manjunath wrote:
> > Not today. The check for uid 0 is a poor man's check for CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL
>
> Are there any future plans to support enabling audit from non root user
> using CAP_AUDIT_CONTROL?

You are the only person who has asked for it. I suppose it can be done in a
couple lines of code. But you still have the permissions of the directories
that hold the rules to correct. Easy to fix, but I think you might be fighting
the distribution's package manager which would set things back to root every
update.

> Regarding suppression of events, I will do some testing and let you know
> later.
>
> Is there a way I can avoid default logging of the audit events to
> /var/log/audit/audit.log?

If you have an old copy old the audit system (2.5.1 or earlier) then use
log_format = NOLOG. If you have a current copy, then use write_logs = no.

-Steve