Audit watches on NFS mounts

Vaughn, Chad M chad.m.vaughn at lmco.com
Thu Oct 20 14:42:07 UTC 2016

I noticed a weird behavior. I NFS mount /usr/local on my Redhat machines.

If I put a watch for a directory in that NFS mount:

-w /usr/local/mywatchdir/ -p rwxa -F exit!=-ENODATA -F success!=1 -k watch

On Redhat 6.4, I don't see audit events when trying to remove or change files in that dir.
On Redhat 6.8, I do see the audit events when trying to remove or changes files in that dir.

Any ideas of possible features added to auditd between those releases?  I would like to be able to speak to it for security audits.