auditd not triggering ANOM_ROOT_TRANS record

William Roberts bill.c.roberts at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 13:09:05 UTC 2016

On Oct 25, 2016 05:12, "teroz" <terence.namusonge at gmail.com> wrote:

> I used one of the dirtycow root exploits on Fedora24 configured
with 30-pci-dss-v31.rules. I was expecting an ANOM_ROOT_TRANS record but
didn't get one. What triggers an ANOM_ROOT_TRANS record? What then is the
best way to trivially audit for a successful privilege escalation?

I would imagine that if it's hijacking an already root or setuid binary,
you won't see anything. As far as that record goes, I have no idea, I'll
let an auditing expert answer that question.