auditd not triggering ANOM_ROOT_TRANS record

William Roberts bill.c.roberts at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 13:48:47 UTC 2016

On Oct 25, 2016 06:42, "teroz" <terence.namusonge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey William
> exploit is run as a normal user and privilege escalates to a root shell

Look under the covers. Dirty cow allows arbitrary file modification, so
somewhere it's likely executing some setuid root thing that it modifies.
Take a peak with strace.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2016/10/21/linux_privilege_escalation_hole/

> On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 at 15:09 William Roberts <bill.c.roberts at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> On Oct 25, 2016 05:12, "teroz" <terence.namusonge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > I used one of the dirtycow root exploits on Fedora24 configured
with 30-pci-dss-v31.rules. I was expecting an ANOM_ROOT_TRANS record but
didn't get one. What triggers an ANOM_ROOT_TRANS record? What then is the
best way to trivially audit for a successful privilege escalation?

>> I would imagine that if it's hijacking an already root or setuid binary,
you won't see anything. As far as that record goes, I have no idea, I'll
let an auditing expert answer that question.