auditd not triggering ANOM_ROOT_TRANS record

William Roberts bill.c.roberts at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 13:59:36 UTC 2016

On Oct 25, 2016 06:48, "William Roberts" <bill.c.roberts at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2016 06:42, "teroz" <terence.namusonge at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hey William
> > exploit is run as a normal user and privilege escalates to a root shell
> >

> Look under the covers. Dirty cow allows arbitrary file modification, so
somewhere it's likely executing some setuid root thing that it modifies.
Take a peak with strace.

Sorry too early in the morning for me, this doesn't require setuid
modification, just a file owned by root looking at the source:

https://github.com/dirtycow/dirtycow.github.io/blob/master/dirtyc0w.c

https://www.google.com/amp/www.theregister.co.uk/AMP/2016/10/21/linux_privilege_escalation_hole/

> > On Tue, 25 Oct 2016 at 15:09 William Roberts <bill.c.roberts at gmail.com>
wrote:

with 30-pci-dss-v31.rules. I was expecting an ANOM_ROOT_TRANS record but
didn't get one. What triggers an ANOM_ROOT_TRANS record? What then is the
best way to trivially audit for a successful privilege escalation?

> >> I would imagine that if it's hijacking an already root or setuid
binary, you won't see anything. As far as that record goes, I have no idea,
I'll let an auditing expert answer that question.