signed tarballs

Paul Moore pmoore at redhat.com
Thu Apr 13 21:17:57 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 5:08 PM, William Roberts
<bill.c.roberts at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 13, 2017 14:05, "Paul Moore" <paul at paul-moore.com> wrote:
>> Unless Steve has exclusive administrative access to people.redhat.com
>> (I think it is safe to say he does not, but correct me if I'm wrong
>> Steve <b>) you can't trust an unsigned checksum regardless of how
>> strong the https cert/crypto as the web admin could still tamper with
>> the data.
>
> Sure possible, but not super plausible. You're putting some trust in the
> administration of that website to begin with.

Come one man, you're smarter than this :)

I only called out the malicious admin case, but there are other cases
where someone with malicious intent could tamper with the checksum.
Some quick examples: hacked webserver, MITM https proxy, etc.

--
paul moore
security @ redhat