Limiting SECCOMP audit events

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Dec 14 03:30:21 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 8:43:38 PM EST Paul Moore wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 7:31 PM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:

> >> I don't think you'd want to log errno -- AIUI, that's used regularly
> >> by a lot of seccomp policy.
> >
> > I'm not seeing any reporting errno. The ones reporting trap are coming in
> > over 50,000 per hour. I don't think the filter is working.
> >
> > [root at x2 ~]# cat /proc/sys/kernel/seccomp/actions_logged
> > kill_process kill_thread errno
> > [root at x2 ~]# date
> > Wed Dec 13 19:24:40 EST 2017
> > [root at x2 ~]# ausearch --start 19:24:40 -m seccomp --raw | aureport --event
> > --summary -i
> > Event Summary Report
> > ======================
> > total type
> > ======================
> > 170 SECCOMP
> >
> > In the time it took to type the command 170 seccomp events were recorded
> > from firefox.
> >
> > [root at x2 ~]# ausearch --start 19:24:40 -m seccomp --just-one -i
> > ----
> > node=x2 type=SECCOMP msg=audit(12/13/2017 19:24:56.454:199666) :
> > auid=sgrubb uid=sgrubb gid=sgrubb ses=3
> > subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 pid=3394
> > comm=Web Content exe=/usr/lib64/firefox/firefox sig=SIG0 arch=x86_64
> > syscall=stat compat=0 ip=0x7f909c828635 code=trap
> > ^^ trap. With the sheer amount of events being recorded, I think it's
> > necessary to add a sysctl file to systems to suppress the logging.
> > Especially when you consider that systemd-journal also gratuitously grabs
> > audit logs and sends them to rsyslog.
>
> Looking at the kernel code, it looks like the actions_logged knob
> isn't really intended to filter/drop seccomp events,

That's unfortunate. I thought this was a way to suppress generation of events. We
have a requirement that audit events be selective by the administrator. We need a
knob to drop some events. I guess, the only knob right now is the exclude filter.
That is probably too course.

> but rather force seccomp events to be loggged.  Look at seccomp_log() to see
> what I mean; there is still a call to audit_seccomp() at the end.

Hmm. What do we do? I have more than a million seccomp events in 2 days. I'm
getting 14 events a second for seccomp just using my system. It's flooding
everything. I mean maybe the firefox and webkit people meant well using seccomp,
but how does a normal user get control back of their logs?

Thanks,