AUDIT_NETFILTER_PKT message format

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Wed Feb 8 23:09:07 UTC 2017

On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 11:30 AM, Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 10:56:39 PM EST Paul Moore wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > So while I'm not advocating this is what should be done and I'm trying
>> > to establish bounds to the scope of this feature, but would it be
>> > reasonable to simply not log packets that were transiting this machine
>> > without a local endpoint?
>>
>> I'm still waiting on more detailed requirements information from
>> Steve, but based on what we've heard so far, it seems that ignoring
>> forwarded traffic is a reasonable thing to do.
>
> OK, I have done teh analysis to see where things stand on this ...

> At this point, I would say there is no purpose for xt_AUDIT.c based on Common
> Criteria. It looks like its built in response to the
> CONFIG_NETFILTER_XT_TARGET_AUDIT config option. So, it can be cleanly
> deprecated.

Based on some off-list discussions with Richard it would appear that
there are several users of the NETFILTER_PKT record so I am in no
hurry to deprecate it.  Considering that there are no CC requirements
on the record, I think we can focus on simply providing a basic record
that satisfies the whims of the userspace tools without adding any
pain to the kernel.  I believe Richard is currently working on a
proposal to do that, let's discuss it further in that thread.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com