Event generator

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Jan 20 15:10:59 UTC 2017

On Saturday, January 21, 2017 12:04:53 AM EST Burn Alting wrote:
> Does anyone know of an exhaustive auditd event generator.

There really isn't one. I have only been able to collect about 73 of the ~160
record types. Some are really hard to generate such as the intergrity events.
Some have barely been used like the responce events.

> I am aware of ausearch-test and audit-validation but I am looking for a
> script or the like that will generate an exhaustive as possible set of
> events - both success and failure.
>
> Basically, I am looking at a script that, once an 'auditctl ... -S
> all ...' has been enabled, will attempt to generate one of every
> syscall. Both success/fail.

Nothing does that, but the Linux Test Project has a syscall test suite that
should exercise almost all positive and negative. I don't think you want to do
a auditctl -S all. That would be way too much. Also, some syscalls are
deprecated and there just for legacy purposes. Glibc won't let you get to it.
And there are syscalls that glibc does not support and you have to call via
the syscall(3) function.

> Something separate could do the the USER_, CRYPTO_ DAEMON_, SERVICE_,
> CONFIG_ filewatch, etc events as well.

The audit test suite Paul mentioned will generate some of these events.
However, Common Criteria testing is not exhaustive. It only covers events
normally found in daily sysadmin activity.

I think it would be a big help if anyone were to create such a generator.