What fields should be used for reporting shared memory?

Martin Kletzander mkletzan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 20 11:36:14 UTC 2017

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 09:04:52PM -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I apologize for the delay.
>
>On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 7:42:27 AM EDT Martin Kletzander wrote:
>> I am going through the fields in the dictionary and I can't find any
>> name to use for the following scenario.
>>
>> We (libvirt) are running virtual machines and there's a thing nowadays,
>> that people like to use, called ivshmem (Inter-VM SHared MEMory).  From
>> host's point of view this is just a shared memory region accessed by
>> multiple VMs (and possibly to host as well).  The machine maps the
>> shared memory given a name (e.g. name "asdf" results in /dev/shm/asdf to
>> be mapped) *or* it can communicate with a server over UNIX socket and
>> that server handles interrupts and also tells the client which shared
>> memory region to map.
>
>If both of these result in a path, then I think we want to log it as a
>resource event.

Yes, and they both are resources in its sense. So you are talking
particularly about the resrc= field?  Should that also have category and
class or anything else set?  Or do you mean we report the path in the
resrc= field?

>> Talking about information we have; in server-less
>> setup it's the shared memory region that is shared, in the server
>> scenario it is the socket.  That's information we can output.
>
>Above you mentioned that the server communicates which region to map. Can you
>explain what that means?

The server sends a file descriptor to the VM over the socket, details
can be found here:

http://git.qemu-project.org/?p=qemu.git;a=blob;f=docs/specs/ivshmem-spec.txt#l151