Lost events during boot

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Tue Mar 21 11:30:29 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 2017-03-20 10:44, Paul Moore wrote:

>> > It's funny, I just noticed this for the first time on Friday (the
>> > exact same lost count too), although it was a development kernel build
>> > with a *heavily* modified audit subsystem so I just assumed I had
>> > broken something with the queuing, the lost counter, or both.  It's
>> > possible I still may have broken something in the v4.10 queue rework,
>> > or something broke a long time ago and we are just noticing it now.
>> >
>> > First off, can you create a GitHub issue for this and include your
>> > kernel build (e.g. 'uname -r')?  Second, if you are seeing this on a
>> > +v4.10 kernel, do you see the same results with a +v4.9 kernel?
>>
>> Quick follow-up, and completely untested, but it would appear that the
>> problem lies in kauditd_hold_skb()/kauditd_print_skb();
>> kauditd_print_skb() registers a false lost record when the printk
>> ratelimit is tripped.  The fix is rather simple, and I'll include that
>> in an upcoming patchset.
>
> Can you make a seperate patch for that in the patchset, or clearly
> identify the problem and the fix in the larger patch?

It is mentioned in the patch description of the larger patch that I'm
going to send to stable for +v4.10.  Assuming testing goes well this
morning I'll be posting the patch as an RFC later today, and if no one
spots anything serious I'll drop the RFC tag and send it up to Linus
later in the week.

> This does seem like a stable fix to me.

We disagree.

--