auditd.cron

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Mar 23 16:11:34 UTC 2017

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 9:53:45 AM EDT Simon Sekidde wrote:
> [...]

Which is exactly what you want because the only setting checked to see if its
time to rotate is the max_log_file setting.

> > 2. send SIGUSR1 to auditd based on your log rotation schedule.
>
> `service auditd rotate` will force a rotation

Yes, but it can be scripted without needing to use service if desired.

> > Are there any other nuances I need to take into consideration?

You might set max_log_file_action to ignore to avoid any syslog warnings. By
using the SIGUSR1 method the logs will have a number appended to them and the
audit utilities can still make sense of the order of log files.

If you choose to rename the files, then you will also need to make a script
that understands the order and cats them into ausearch/report in the correct
order if you still plan to use the native tools.

-Steve