Reboots and audit.rules

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Thu Mar 30 15:33:27 UTC 2017

On Thursday, March 30, 2017 8:17:05 AM EDT warron.french wrote:
> Steve, is there anyway that you know of both as the author of the Red Hat
> Audit software, and also an employee of Red Hat that would allow someone to
> review the audit logs and determine one of the following 2 possibilities:

We have specification around most things these days. This is the document about
system lifecycle events:

https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-documentation/wiki/SPEC-System-Lifecycle-Events

According to it, the event you are looking for is SYSTEM_SHUTDOWN. The reason
for shutdown is not required.

>    1. If the machine was rebooted through software; such as;
>
>    - poweroff,
>    - shutdown,
>    - init, etc.. etc..

You could place watches on these if you really wanting this information.

> 2. Or a person pressed the power button on the front of the machine.

There is also hibernate and pulling the power cord.

-Steve