libaudit vsn 1/2 changes

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue May 30 19:36:04 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, May 30, 2017 2:19:09 PM EDT Frederick House wrote:
> Does anyone know the specific changes to libaudit v1 that warranted a major
> version upgrade to v2 (i.e., libaudit.so.0 -> libaudit.so.1)? I'd like to
> understand the major differences without having to diff the source code of
> audit-1.8 and audit.2.0!

>From the old 2.0 changelog:

- Removed old syscall rules API - not needed since 2.6.16
- Remove all use of the old rule structs from API
- Removed ancient defines that are part of kernel 2.6.29 headers
- Bump soname number for libaudit
- In auditctl, deprecate the entry filter and move rules to exit filter
- Remove support for the legacy negate syscall rule operator

The main thing was we had to remove hidden function calls that were using an
old API that had been deprecated. Specifically this was audit_add_rule() and
audit_delete_rule(). They in turn used a deprecated kernel API.

The way that it played out was that we made the new API in the kernel. User
space used both for a while and then user space started only using the new
API. The old API was hidden so that new programs had to use the new API but
anything compiled against the old API would continue working for a while.
After a couple of years we were pretty sure nothing was using the old kernel
API and its code could be removed. The first step was removing the last bits
of support from user space and then a year or two later move it out of the
kernel.

This happened way back in 2009.

-Steve