Auditing console access

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Sep 6 18:12:44 UTC 2017

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 9:42:53 AM EDT Maupertuis Philippe wrote:
> Hi,
> The examples found in the audit documentation mention that to work it is
> assumed that no direct root login is allowed. This very sensible and not a
> big problem except for console access.

Why is it a problem for console access?  :-)

> What would be the best way to monitor what is done through this access ?

If you need to know the commands & changes made by root, then you probably
need to use pam_tty_audit to enable tty auditing for su and sudo.

> Would you recommend to forbid root access even in console ?

Yes. Who is root? Who was root 4 years ago? By logging in with your account
and then changing to root, the audit system can track who root is. The only
time I can think of where you wouldn't want this tracking is when the system
is in single user mode. (Because auditd doesn't normally start in single user
mode.)

-Steve