Excluding audit for BIND daemon

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Sat Sep 23 18:54:47 UTC 2017

Hello,

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 2:29:47 PM EDT Rituraj Buddhisagar wrote:
> As per the config file which I had sent (/etc/audit/audit.rules); below
> line has root_action
>
> *-a exit,always -S all -F euid=0 -F perm=wxa -F auid!=4294967295 -k
> root_action*

If you wanted just people and not daemons, then I would suggest changing the
rule to this:

-a exit,always -S all -F euid=0 -F auid>=1000 -F auid!=4294967295 -F key=root_action

However, that is likely to trigger way more events than you need. Because this
will trigger on every single syscall and slow down the system. What you would
normally want to know is which commands were run as root. A rule for that
would look like this:

-a exit,always -F arch=b32 -S execve -F euid=0 -F auid>=1000 -F auid!=4294967295 -F key=root_action
-a exit,always -F arch=b64 -S execve -F euid=0 -F auid>=1000 -F auid!=4294967295 -F key=root_action

Another approach would be to enable keystroke logging. This would involve
adding pam_audit_tty to the su and sudo pam configs. Use the default setting
shown in the pam man page. If you do this, then don't have the root_action
rule because you'll get double information.

And last bit of advice...there are pre-written rules that you can install. On
Fedora, they are located in /usr/share/doc/audit/rules/. There is a README-rules
file that explains how to use them.

-Steve