auditd configuration for PCI DSS 10.2.x Compliance

Shinoj Gangadharan sgangadharan at wavecrest.gi
Tue Jan 16 08:49:20 UTC 2018

Hi Joshua,

A few minor things for your consideration :

10.2.3    Access to all audit trails

·         I’m not sure the best route to cover this one.  If I add a rule
to watch /var/log/* for ‘wa’ actions, those logs are constantly being
written to so that would be too noisy I believe. Does anyone know how I
would form a rule that would fire when a file within /var/log is accessed
directly by a user?  Also, if the user makes any manual changes, such as
deleting a file or modifying its contents?

Ensure that only root users have access to /var/log and you are already
monitoring actions of users using pam_tty_audit etc. Additionally you are
sending logs to remote servers which will ensure that logs are present on
the remote server even if they are deleted locally. And since user actions
are being monitored, you will also be able to know that logs were
modified/deleted.

10.2.7

In addition to what you have mentioned, I am sure you are already
monitoring these using a FIM like OSSEC.

Regards,

Shinoj.