Audit-3.0 pre-release available

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Jul 18 15:52:20 UTC 2018

Hello,

This is to let everyone know that an audit-3.0 pre-release is being made.
The big change that is prompting this email is that there is a config change
that people might need to be aware of. One of the improvements is to drop
audispd (realtime audit event dispatcher) and merge its functionality into
auditd. This will eliminate one source of overflow messages and decrease the
time from event occurrence to plugin seeing it. But since audispd doesn't
exist anymore, I think that the location for the plugin directory should be
moved from /etc/audisp/plugins.d/ to /etc/audit/plugins.d/. This way we have
all audit config items in one place for the first time. There is a config
option to point auditd to another directory for plugins in case you want to
use the old location.

I have already coordinated this with some selinux developers. They are moving
the selinux troubleshooter plugin and adjusting selinux policy for the new
locations and label transitions from auditd to the plugins. I don't know how
many people beyond those I have contacted makes use of the audit dispatcher
plugin capabilities for real time audit analysis. But that is why I'm doing a
pre-release and making this announcement.

You can find the pre-release here:
http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/audit-3.0-alpha.tar.gz

Its sha256 hash is:
5c6bd356dfd8f2f6a35df35a8cd5138bd511413ee03d56076b47dc120f406dbf

I will be blogging about the new capabilities in the coming weeks. If you are
inclined, give it a try. There are changes that packagers will need to make
to accommodate the move from audisp to auditd directly handling plugins. I
have also pushed this into Fedora's rawhide and it should be available on the
next compose.

Thanks,