overhead of auditd

杨海 hai.yang at magic-shield.com
Mon Jul 15 10:21:11 UTC 2019

Hi Steve,

I ever read the document you wrote about laying IDS on top of auditd. And I suppose inotify could be lightweight for IDS. Any comment?

Best regards
Hai

From:  "Steve Grubb"<sgrubb at redhat.com>;
Date:  Fri, Jul 12, 2019 08:14 PM
To:  "linux-audit"<linux-audit at redhat.com>;
Cc:  "杨海"<hai.yang at magic-shield.com>;
Subject:  Re: overhead of auditd

Hello,

On Thursday, July 11, 2019 11:23:45 PM EDT 杨海 wrote:
> Turning on all system calls in audit.rules, and transferring a tar file to
> the target system (CentOS 7, 4 cores), I found "auditd" consumes high CPU
> usage. Is it expected?

It would not be surprising. Some system calls have more overhead than others.
So, depending on everything that is running, you can kill your system.

> BTW, after turning write-logs off, and add dispatcher, both "audispd" and
> "auditd" are consuming high CPU.

They have a lot of events to handle.