Missing login records - Audit functionality in different kernel versions

Róbert Nagy robert.nagy1 at freemail.hu
Thu May 30 07:37:23 UTC 2019

Hello all,

I tested Audit on a Debian 7 (kernel version 3.2.0-5-amd64), but in the audit.log I get no USER_AUTH, USER_ACCT, CRED_ACQ, USER_START and USER_LOGIN record types at all, Only USER_LOGIN types.

As I understand these records should be there without any rules set.
https://www.redhat.com/archives/linux-audit/2017-July/msg00046.html

On another server with kernel version 4.9 it works properly. Is there a possibility that this Audit functionality is not implemented in kernel version 3.2, or is this just a configuration issue on my side?

We have too many Debian 3.x production servers to consider kernel upgrade being an option.

If it's a kernel issue, could you please recommend any workaround? Currently I am thinking on parsing the auth.log

Many thanks,
Robert

auditd.conf:
log_file = /var/log/audit/audit.log