When is EOE generated?

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Wed Sep 11 21:19:00 UTC 2019

Hello,

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019 11:55:58 PM EDT Giovanni Panepinto wrote:
> According to
> https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/h
> tml/security_guide/sec-audit_record_types , the record EOE gets generated
> to represent "the end of a multi-record event."
>
> In my audit logs, I can see that for some events, EOE doesn't get
> generated.

<snip>

> So my question is, what defines a multi-record event? And why is EOE not
> generated when I create a file under /usr/local/bin?

The EOE record is stripped by the audit daemon to save disk space. The audit
libraries and utilities use heuristics to determine the end of an event. So,
if you are parsing events with auparse, it will figure out the end of the
event and group all related records for you. The EOE record is passes along
to the real time interface just in case it helps to mark an event complete
before the heuristics determine it is complete.