New release?

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Dec 1 04:30:35 UTC 2020

Hello,

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 6:37:36 PM EST Laurent Bigonville wrote:
> The freeze of the new debian release is approaching (early next year)
> and I'm looking a bit for guidance about what do with the audit package.
>
> Should I start cherry-picking patches, wait for a new (pre-)release?
> Keep the good 2.8?

The good 2.8 is rotten. It has not been patched for a very long time. Fedora
and RHEL are running off of github snapshots. I usually do a prerelease
tarball for everyone else to follow along with so that we can all stay in
sync. Hopefully, you have been using those.

The pre-release is perfectly good releases. I have been holding off on
calling it 3.0 because the major feature was container support. This has been
perpetually almost done for the last 5 years. I apologize for holding the
release up for something that is always out of reach, yet almost done.

I have one open question on:
https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-userspace/pull/134

and I think that might wrap things up for 3.0. We cannot wait for the
container work. It seems like the patch above is missing the use of a
AUDIT_FEATURE_BITMAP_ extension and then we are good to go.