Default logging with no rules

Andreas Hasenack andreas at canonical.com
Thu Nov 19 14:04:24 UTC 2020

Hi there,

I started playing with the audit subsystem a few days ago, and noticed
that even without any rules, there is a lot of logging going on. I
understand that rules have to be fine tuned, and I was expecting
having to do that, but I wasn't expecting the amount of logs on a busy
system with no rules at all.

I read in an old presentation (~2011) that these come from "trusted
apps", and in fact any process with cap_audit_write (iirc) can log
such events. The tip was that exclude/never list/action could be used
to reduce this noise, is that still the case and recommended approach?
Or is there a way to use audit with only the rules defined in
/etc/audit/rules.d?