Identifying thread/process termination

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Fri Oct 9 01:12:41 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 4:00 AM Natan Yellin <aantny at gmail.com> wrote:

> What would be so messy about adding the extra field?
>
> I'm happy to put together a patch myself which adds it to all syscalls and to process lifecycle events. My goal isn't to identify the exact thread that performs every audit event but rather to allow tracking thread lifecycle which isn't currently possible.

*Please* don't top post, it's a pain to read and it messes up the thread.

As far as recording the thread information, what I meant by messy is
that any new fields added to a record need to be added to the end[1],
which may result in some ugly code.  Of course, if it's important to
you I would encourage you to develop a RFC patch and send it off to
the list for review.  Maybe it won't be so messy after all! :)

[1] It's a really long story, involving a lot of screaming, so just
trust me on this one.  If you really want to challenge this assertion
go read the past seven to eight years of linux-audit archives first ;)

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com