Auditd statsd integration

LC Bruzenak lenny at magitekltd.com
Wed Feb 10 19:07:51 UTC 2021

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 7:44 PM Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have recently checked in to the audit tree 2 experimental plugins. You
> can
> enable them by passing --enable-experimental to configure. One of the new
> plugins is aimed at providing audit metrics to a statsd server. The idea
> being that you can use this to relay the metrics to influxdb, prometheus
> or
> some other collector. Then you can use Grafana to visualize and alert.
>
> Currently, it supports the following metrics:
>
> kernel.audit.lost
> kernel.audit.backlog
> auditd.free_space
> auditd.plugin_current_depth
> auditd.plugin_max_depth
> audit_events.total_count
> audit_events.total_failed
> audit_events.avc_count
> audit_events.fanotify_count
> audit_events.logins_failed
> audit_events.logins_success
> audit_events.anomaly_count
> audit_events.response_count
>
> I'd be interested in hearing if this would be useful. And if these are the
> right metrics that people are interested in. Should something else be
> measured? Should an example Grafana dashboard be included?
>
> Let me know what you think.
>
> -Steve

Steve,

I think this could be awesome; hoping to give it a try soon. An example
dashboard would be very helpful if you could include that.
The stats you already point out a good start.

I'd also like to have a way to parse the per-machine kernel-assigned event
IDs for missing ones. Might that need a separate plugin for that or could
something be done within this setup?
I'm pretty sure there are more metrics that would be desired as well as
some derived; e.g. take a per-user login/logoff set to identify time spent
on a particular machine (screenlocks notwithstanding, but maybe
eventually). Or perhaps if clients send events+heartbeats, when are they
up/down? These are some of the questions I've heard from security overseers.

And while some of these may not be inspected directly by the end users, in
the case of trouble calls or questions they might be the exact thing I'd
ask them to relay to me in order to diagnose a problem or answer a question
remotely.

Thx,
LCB

--