open_by_handle_at and CVE-2020-35501

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Thu Feb 25 22:28:11 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 25, 2021 at 5:15 PM Steve Grubb <sgrubb at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> There was an announcement on the oss-security mail list a week ago:
>
> https://seclists.org/oss-sec/2021/q1/155
>
> regarding auditing of the open_by_handle_at system call ...

The *at() syscalls are a known issue with respect to audit; we have a
few open GH issues related to the topic, the oldest appears to be the
one below:

* https://github.com/linux-audit/audit-kernel/issues/9

> ... In any event, they are asking what upstream audit is going to do about this?

I recognize it sounds a bit trite here, but "patches are always
welcome".  Basically someone needs to have the time and motivation to
look into this and put forth some patches that we can discuss and
iterate over.  The problem is that historically audit has attracted
very few kernel developers outside the occasional development push by
a distro preparing a OS release for a certification effort.  I was
just lamenting this fact on a private mail thread with some other
kernel developers a couple of weeks ago ...

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com