Occasional delayed output of events

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Tue Jan 19 20:26:04 UTC 2021

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 2:38 PM Burn Alting <burn.alting at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> All systems use chrony (current NTP daemon). One is a VM (on top of KVM) and the other a bare metal deployment. Does the above explain my second data set (in the issue) from a bare metal Centos 8 host?
> Perhaps Lenny's comments bare investigation. Either way, I will offer a patch to the user space code to, based on a configuration value, manage correctly such activity.

> msg=audit(1609920994.483:1787848):
> msg=audit(1609920994.483:1787848):
> msg=audit(1609920994.483:1787848):
> msg=audit(1609920994.483:1787848):
> msg=audit(1609920994.483:1787848):
> msg=audit(1609920994.484:1787849):
> msg=audit(1609920994.484:1787849):
> msg=audit(1609921000.636:1787850):
> msg=audit(1609921000.636:1787850):
> msg=audit(1609921000.636:1787850):
> msg=audit(1609921008.456:1787851):
> msg=audit(1609921008.456:1787851):
> msg=audit(1609921008.456:1787851):
> msg=audit(1609921008.456:1787851):
> msg=audit(1609921008.456:1787851):
> msg=audit(1609921008.456:1787851):
> msg=audit(1609920994.484:1787849):
> msg=audit(1609920994.484:1787849):
> msg=audit(1609920994.484:1787849):
> msg=audit(1609921010.837:1787852):
> msg=audit(1609921010.837:1787852):
> msg=audit(1609921010.837:1787852):
> msg=audit(1609921010.837:1787852):

Looking at the extracted snippet above where event 1787849 is out of
order we see the following timestamps:

> msg=audit(1609920994.483:1787848):
> msg=audit(1609920994.484:1787849):
> msg=audit(1609921000.636:1787850):
> msg=audit(1609921008.456:1787851):
> msg=audit(1609921010.837:1787852):

... which looks correct in as much that the time doesn't appear to go
backwards between events.  As I said before, I'm not sure how Steve's
userspace works so the time may be a red herring.

Barring some weird condition where auditd disconnects and quickly
reconnects to the kernel, and/or dies and is replaced quickly, I'm not
seeing anything obvious in the kernel which would cause this.  I'm not
saying there isn't anything there, just that it isn't obvious to me at
the moment :)

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com