Occasional delayed output of events

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Jan 26 00:20:33 UTC 2021

On Monday, January 25, 2021 7:11:45 PM EST Burn Alting wrote:

> > > I can implement the 'end_of_event_timeout' change either as
> > > i. a command line argument to ausearch/aureport (say --eoetmo secs) and
> > > new pair of library functions within the  auparse() stable (say
> > > auparse_set_eoe_timeout() and auparse_get_eoe_timeout())
> > > or
> > > ii. a configuration item in /etc/audit/auditd.conf, or
> > >

> > > Which is your preference? Mine is i. as this is a user space processing
> > > change, not a demon change.
> >
> > To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what we're seeing. I run some tests
> > today on my system. It's seeing issues also. I'd still like to treat the
> > root cause of this. But we do need to change the default. That I what
> > I'm trying to figure out.
> >
> > Back to your question, I'm wondering if we should do both? A changeable
> > default in auditd.conf and an override on the command line.
>
> So far, all items in /etc/audit/auditd.conf appear to only affect the
> daemon. Is this the right location to start adding non-daemon
> configuration items? (I accept there is no other place).

ausearch/report/auparse all read the auditd.conf to find the canonical
location for where the logs are supposed to be. So, they already read this
file. I'd rather keep it there than make yet another config. The only drawback
it that it might again confuse people that auditd really doesn't do anything
with the records but just some light processing.

-Steve