Duplicate Rule situation

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Mon Jun 21 16:57:01 UTC 2021

On 2021-06-21 12:52, warron.french wrote:
> Does anybody know if I put the following two rules into the same
> audit.rules file and reboot the server will we end up with some broken
> rules?
>
> -w /etc/audit/         -p a -k watch_audit
> -w /etc/audit/rules.d/ -p a -k watch_audit
>
> Will this cause a problem due to duplicate rules?

These are two distinct rules, but redundant, so there won't be any
conflict, but the second rule will never trigger.

If you want finer grained triggering under one rule, likely with a
different key, try instead something like:

-w /etc/audit/rules.d/	-p a -k watch_audit_rules_d
-w /etc/audit/		-p a -k watch_audit

> Warron French

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com>
Sr. S/W Engineer, Kernel Security, Base Operating Systems