Internal commands track in AuditD

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Jun 21 17:16:34 UTC 2021

On Sunday, June 20, 2021 4:42:48 PM EDT Muthamilan Sargunaanandan wrote:
> I would like to add the Internal commands (example cd , |, > and etc) track
> in AuditD.

Internal to what? Auditd just logs events to disk. The kernel is what decides
what should be logged. The kernel's view is pretty much what you'd see in
strace output. If there is something in the strace that is significant, a
syscall rule can be written for it.

> Can I get the auditd rules to trace the user commands including the
> internal commands.

The kernel doesn't have visibility into the meaning of anything users do. But
what it can do is record any keystrokes that a user may type regardless of
what program is receiving the characters. You can look into pam_tty_audit if
you want to do that. It will record these as TTY events that you can later
post process