Quick announcement on the selinux/next and audit/next branches

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Sat Mar 6 15:20:26 UTC 2021

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 10:00 AM Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 2021-03-05 12:56, Paul Moore wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 9:03 PM Paul Moore <paul at paul-moore.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > As many of you are aware, normally with the close of the merge window
> > > and the release of -rc1 I typically reset the selinux/next and
> > > audit/next branches to Linus' -rc1 tag.  However, as you may have
> > > heard already, there is a nasty problem with the early v5.12 kernels,
> > > including -rc1, which could result in some fairly serious fs
> > > corruption (see the LWN article below).  With that in mind, I'm not
> > > going to reset the selinux/next and audit/next branches for this
> > > development cycle ...
> >
> > That idea was spectacularly short lived :/  Assuming -rc2 fixes the
> > swapfile bug, I'll plan on rebasing both -next branches to -rc2 early
> > next week.  This should have zero impact on the audit tree (audit/next
> > is current empty), and a minimal impact on the selinux/next branch as
> > we only have one small patch in there at the moment.
>
> Well, it appears you are far from the only subsystem maintainer doing
> that for this cycle.

FWIW, not rebasing the -next branches would likely work out okay for
most release cycles, we just happen to have a SELinux/IMA patch which
has a dependency on code that was merged during the v5.12 merge window
so we need to rebase selinux/next at the very least and since the
audit/next branch is still empty I figured I might as well rebase that
too.

I suspect this will have little to no impact on anyone, but I wanted
to let you folks know regardless.  No one likes surprises when it
comes to upstream trees.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com