renameat2 syscall is not recorded

Alan Evangelista alan.vitor at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 10:31:06 UTC 2021

AE>  Is there any reason why (...) auditctl -R don't print errors to stdout
when rules parsing errors occur?

SG> If it's detected that the rules are in a file, they get sent to syslog
because
     > 99.99% of the time, this is system boot or initscripts and we need
to make
     > the problem discoverable later by the system admin.

I assume you meant "if it's detected that there are errors in the rules in
a rules file".
IMHO the stream to which errors are output (syslog or stdout) should be
configurable,
as it is *very* confusing to run auditctl -R manually and get no errors
when there is an
error in rules parsing. It forces the user to always run "auditctl -R" and
"auditctl -l" to check
if the rules are indeed active, which is not intuitive at all. Regarding
the initscript use case,
I think it's also very common to use "auditctl -R" while creating new audit
rules.