Backlog not working with kernel 3.10

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Tue Mar 16 21:58:47 UTC 2021

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 5:26 PM Alan Evangelista <alan.vitor at gmail.com> wrote:

> AFAIK, the purpose of the backlog (a queue of audit events in the kernel) is to assure no events are lost when events are generated at a faster speed than they are consumed.
>
> I'm using CentOS7 with kernel 3.10.0-1160.15.2.el7.x86_64 and trying to test the backlog, but it seems it's not working at all.
>
> Audit rule:
> -a always,exit -F dir=/sasdata -F arch=b64 -S creat -S open -S openat -S unlink -S unlinkat -S symlink -S symlinkat -S link -S linkat -S rename -S renameat -S chmod -S fchmod -S fchmodat -S chown -S fchown -S fchownat -S mkdir -S mkdirat -S rmdir -S setxattr -S lsetxattr -S fsetxattr -S removexattr -S lremovexattr -S fremovexattr -k filesystem_op
>
> First I turned auditd off so that events are not consumed:
>
> # service stop auditd
>
> Then I make sure that the backlog size is greater than 0:
>
> # auditctl -s
> enabled 1
> failure 1
> pid 0
> rate_limit 5000
> backlog_limit 8192
> lost 0
> backlog 0
> loginuid_immutable 0 unlocked
>
> I have run some simple commands in /data that  should be logged , e.g. touch file, mkdir dir. Finally, I have run auditctl-s and expected to see the backlog events counter go up, but it's still 0. If I start auditd again, the events are never logged. Am I missing something here?
>
> Thanks in advance.

The audit queue mechanism (backlog) was pretty messed up in older
kernels, and while we've fixed it in modern kernels, I believe that
not all of the changes have been backported to the older distribution
kernels.  If you are a RHEL customer you *may* have some luck pursuing
this via your RH/IBM support person, but I can't say for certain (I
don't work for RH/IBM).

>From an upstream perspective - which is what this mailing list focuses
on - there isn't much for us to do here unless you are seeing problems
with a more current kernel.

--
paul moore
www.paul-moore.com