Backlog not working with kernel 3.10

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Wed Mar 17 01:46:53 UTC 2021

On 2021-03-16 18:25, Alan Evangelista wrote:
> AFAIK, the purpose of the backlog (a queue of audit events in the kernel)
> is to assure no events are lost when events are generated at a faster speed
> than they are consumed.
>
> I'm using CentOS7 with kernel 3.10.0-1160.15.2.el7.x86_64 and trying to
> test the backlog, but it seems it's not working at all.
>
> Audit rule:
> -a always,exit -F dir=/sasdata -F arch=b64 -S creat -S open -S openat -S
> unlink -S unlinkat -S symlink -S symlinkat -S link -S linkat -S rename -S
> renameat -S chmod -S fchmod -S fchmodat -S chown -S fchown -S fchownat -S
> mkdir -S mkdirat -S rmdir -S setxattr -S lsetxattr -S fsetxattr -S
> removexattr -S lremovexattr -S fremovexattr -k filesystem_op
>
> First I turned auditd off so that events are not consumed:
>
> # service stop auditd
>
> Then I make sure that the backlog size is greater than 0:
>
> # auditctl -s
> enabled 1
> failure 1
> pid 0
> rate_limit 5000
> backlog_limit 8192
> lost 0
> backlog 0
> loginuid_immutable 0 unlocked
>
> I have run some simple commands in /data that  should be logged , e.g.
> touch file, mkdir dir. Finally, I have run auditctl-s and expected to see
> the backlog events counter go up, but it's still 0. If I start auditd
> again, the events are never logged. Am I missing something here?

So, since you haven't indicated if you have tried and tested this
already, please start by running those simple commands while the auditd
service is running and verifying that those commands do get logged as
expected.  If they don't, fix that first.

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com>
Sr. S/W Engineer, Kernel Security, Base Operating Systems