Replacing file watch (-w) with syscall

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at redhat.com
Fri May 28 15:55:54 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-28 11:26, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Friday, May 28, 2021 8:34:45 AM EDT Andreas Hasenack wrote:
> > I wanted to place a file watch on a file, but with an auid filter,
> > i.e., I didn't want to log accesses done by a particular user. That is
> > not possible with -w, so we have to use a syscall rule.
> >
> > The manpage has many examples of such conversions, so here is what I would
> > use:
> >
> > -a always,exit -F auid!=andreas -F path=/etc/myfile -F perm=wa -F
> > key=myfile-changed
> >
> > No syscall, because the manpage also says this for the perm filter:
> > "You can use this without specifying a syscall and the kernel will
> > select the syscalls that satisfy the permissions being requested."
> >
> > Right after loading that rule, though, auditctl shows it with "-S all":
> >
> > -a always,exit -S all -F auid!=1000 -F path=/etc/myfile -F perm=wa -F
> > key=myfile-changed
> >
> > That had me a bit worried, in terms of performance impact, if "-S all"
> > is true and all syscalls will be checked. Is this a terrible rule?
>
> I think what you  are seeing is auditctl trying to display something
> meaningful. The syscalls are selected by the perm filter but it keeps this
> information private and doesn't move it to the syscall mask. The watch does
> the same thing you just don't see anything displayed when you list the rule.

In the kernel, this is checked in audit_filter_syscall(), first
filtering on the syscall (in a parallel bitmask that doesn't affect
performance no matter how many or few syscalls are selected) and then
checking filter rules that will then select syscalls by audit syscall
permission class.  Your performance will be only very slightly impacted
by the addition of the auid filter.  Your rule is fine.

> -Steve

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at redhat.com>
Sr. S/W Engineer, Kernel Security, Base Operating Systems