why no LOGOUT event record on some OSes

lizhijian at fujitsu.com lizhijian at fujitsu.com
Thu Oct 21 01:31:42 UTC 2021

Hi Steve

Your reply was very much appreciated

On 21/10/2021 01:05, Steve Grubb wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wednesday, October 20, 2021 10:55:02 AM EDT Li Zhijian wrote:
>> I'm new to audit, then i observed that there is no LOGOUT event record
>> in audit.log on my ubuntu 18.04 and debian 8 OSes, while the centos7.4 and
>> fedora33 have it.
>>
>> I google it but get no answer, so am I missing something about the audit
>> rules or special audit configuration ?
> The logout events are hardwired into programs. IOW, they do not come from any
> audit rules. You'd want to see which program the users login with.
I tried login/logout from /usr/bin/login(util-linux) and sshd(openssh), both of them cannot generate LOGOUT event correctly.

> It is
> responsible for sending the logout event. You might check the source code of
> it or simply grep AUDIT_LOGOUT in the source.
Yes, I believed that some program send logout event to auditd/kauditd, but i cannot find any clue so far.

IIUC, for above login programs, i  should grep AUDIT_LOGOUT in util-linux and openssh, they both return nothing from them.

[lizhijian at yl util-linux-2.33]$ grep AUDIT_LOGOUT . -r
[lizhijian at yl util-linux-2.33]$ cd -
[lizhijian at yl openssh-7.9p1]$ grep AUDIT_LOGOUT . -r
[lizhijian at yl openssh-7.9p1]$

even though i grep the openssh souce form centos, it also has no AUDIT_LOGOUT pattern in it.

Thanks
Zhijian