Be careful with rules

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Tue Jun 7 15:02:08 UTC 2022

Hello Paul,

On Tuesday, June 7, 2022 9:42:06 AM EDT Paul Moore wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 6, 2022 at 7:10 PM Lenny Bruzenak <lenny at magitekltd.com> wrote:
> > I've been told that it is not a potential security problem, and not
> > subject to change in the (current) kernel.
>
> I'm that little birdy that Lenny was talking to off-list so I figured
> I would add a quick comment here :)
>
> As a reminder, elevated privilege is needed to both add/remove/modify
> audit rules as well as the loaded SELinux policy (affecting the
> validity of the relevant security labels).  Also, as Lenny already
> mentioned, if an invalid security label is used, the kernel will
> notify the admin via the kernel log.

Wouldn't it be better if the kernel knew the rule was invalid to return
EINVAL so that rule loading stops or becomes an error return from auditctl? A
long time ago, there was no way from user space to check a type or a role or
an selinux user for validity. Can that be done now? Is there an API for it?