Query regarding the lib audit-userspace

Manojkiran Eda manojkiran.eda at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 08:40:23 UTC 2022

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I am actually trying to enable audit events support for an embedded webserver (bmcweb<https://github.com/openbmc/bmcweb>) which implements the DMTF Redfish specification. The idea is to use libaudit to generate server operations related audit events. For example

  *   Authentication related events
  *   Power on related events
  *   Code update related events

And the design principle is that all the apps in LF OpenBMC<https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc> are single threaded & use dbus as our communication model & we use event loops for processing events from dbus. I agree that probably it makes sense to disallow a particular operation If we fail to send an event. But can’t we do it without blocking using the event loops ? is there some example of doing that for sending audit events ? As it is a webserver we would want it to as much responsive as possible.

And also , how much time does the daemon have to wait for a ACK reply ? does it have a time out of some sort ? I understand that the API that we discussed above does the send as well as receive part, are there specific API’s for just send & receive separately ? so that I could probably add the file descriptor to the event loop and invoke the receive API whenever we get a reply ACK from the kernel.

Thank,
Manoj