Clarification Around File System Auditing

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Fri Feb 17 21:50:15 UTC 2023

Hello,

On Tuesday, February 14, 2023 3:55:58 PM EST Amjad Gabbar wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
> I was trying to evaluate the same via Flamegraphs and what I noticed was
> that :
>
> 1. Despite deleting all rules (auditctl -D), there were still calls to
> audit_filter_syscall() on each syscall. I assume this is because syscall
> auditing is enabled and despite no rules, there still will be some
> performance impact and calls to syscall filtering functions on each
> syscall.

Yes.

> 2. For a single watch rule as well without any syscall rules, I could see
> calls to audit_filter_syscall() followed by audit_filter_rules() for
> unrelated syscalls such as futex() and recvmsg() - not present in
> include/asm-generic/audit_*.h
> Why would these functions be called for a single watch rule for syscalls
> unrelated to the permissions?

If auditing is enabled, it will go into the syscall filter for *any* syscall.
It will go into __audit_syscall_exit for every syscall. If there is an audit
context, it will go into audit_filter_syscall. The documentation in the
comments above these functions is informative.

My guess is that this code path might benefit from adding a list_empty check.
A long time ago, I think we kept a variable that denoted if there were any
rules and short-circuited if none.

-Steve