audit rules to help watch for potential threat?

Burn Alting burn.alting at iinet.net.au
Sat Jan 14 02:15:42 UTC 2023

Karen,
Quite simply, just monitor execve (in addition to targeted/mandated monitoring) as
per
# Process execution
-a always,exit -F arch=b64 -S execve -F auid!=unset -F key=cmds

And within /etc/audit/auditd.conf change
    max_log_file = 8    num_logs = 5to    max_log_file = 32    num_logs = 9
Which caters for an expanded set of /var/log/audit/audit.log files (32 x 9 =
288MB).You would need to send your logs to a central SIEM say every 10-15 minutes.
Burn AltingPS. I know I have identified b32 arch but the best b32 arch rule now for
most modern (and supported Linux) is-a always,exit -F arch=b32 -S all -F key=32bit-
abi