Upstream kernel development and the linux-audit mailing list

Paul Moore paul at paul-moore.com
Tue Jan 31 19:44:23 UTC 2023

Hello all,

Those of you who have been following the linux-audit mailing list
closely over the past several years have likely seen some issues
relating to upstream Linux Kernel development and the mailing list:
disagreements on the focus of the list (upstream vs upstream+distro),
and a moderated vs open posting policy.

In general the disagreements around the focus of the list, while
annoying at times, tended not to be significant issues.
Unfortunately, the issue of list moderation has been a problem with
other subsystem maintainers and developers dropping the audit list
from their discussions due to the moderation settings.  While I had
hoped that we might change the list to an open list, just like most of
the upstream kernel mailing lists, Steve has mentioned that he does
not want to make the change due to concerns over SPAM.

With that in mind, I'm going to suggest moving the development of
audit in the upstream Linux Kernel to a new mailing list hosted on
vger.kernel.org.  Many of you who participate, or at least monitor,
kernel development are no doubt already subscribed to at least one
mailing list hosted on vger as it is one of the most common (*the*
most common?) list host for Linux Kernel related development.

I don't want to make any statements with respect to Steve's audit
userspace, that is up to him, but I don't have any problem if he wants
to move upstream discussion of his audit userspace tools to the same
vger-based list.

I'll hold off on list creation for a couple of days in case anyone has
a well reasoned argument against moving upstream kernel development to
a new list.  However, I want to underscore that any argument to keep
upstream discussions on a moderated list will need to be strong enough
to counter potentially excluding other subsystems from the discussion.

--
paul-moore.com